Sunday 9 October 2011

An Informal History of Auckland Studio Potters - Introduction

I thought I would keep this blog as a way of sharing some of the history of the Auckland Studio Potters in 2011:  the year it turns fifty.  I have no qualifications for this, I have been a member of ASP for the past ten years and volunteered to do this as my little bit towards the ASP's birthday. 

It is a bit of a mission for me, learning how to publish a blog, this is my fifth attempt.  They keep disappearing.  I wonder about all those words floating around out there. Hot air -  potters are quite good at hot air.  Just so you know what I am having to deal with and why it has taken me two months to get this far, there are dashboards to negotiate, there were kitchen sinks, slugs and pingbacks.  I have been warned about the risk of cutting and pasting turning my blog into spam (and maybe that's what happened to my other attempts...I am not really surprised.)

I would like to post on this blog (that's what you do!) pages that I have typed up from the little blue publication The First Twenty Five Years. But first I want to publish this introduction in case it's the cutting and pasting that's the problem. I think some of the history will be a good starting point, but it would be nice to get lots of anecdotes and stories and I have visions of themes, Visitors from Overseas, Special Firings, Exhibitions but I suppose I will have to see how this goes. And what people send me.  Lots of old photos would be great.

For a full history please go to this page:

Here's one from 1975.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is really shaping up as a very important record of the ASP's busy life. There's a lot of memories here and a lot of pots, exhibitions, kilns and people to check out. Where did all this hair come from, or more importantly where did it all go to?
    Well done! Huge amount of work (learning from scratch) but worth every scan and tedious transcription.
    It would be great to collar lots of past members and office-holders to add their tuppence worth, this sort of anecdotal and informal history is fascinating, and will be a useful resource for all the newer students now active in the ASP. So write in!

    ReplyDelete